nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Rooting pears, other difficult things

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Rooting pears, other difficult things
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:35:31 +0000

Aren't stooling and air-layering, and the branch in a pot thru the bottom hole, all the same thing?

I've read somewhere that one way to get "difficult" rooters to root is to blanch the section of stem where you want the roots to be. This might mean wrapping the branch with tape or other coating, or stapling cardboard over it, etc. This convinces the stem that it is under mulch or in soil. The constant dark initiates bio-chemical processes, making rooting quicker when you eventually take the cutting and stick it into rooting media. This may have been the theory of some obscure amatuer propagator; I don't know if there are any charts of correct season & number days of blanching per species in question.

Tanis Cuff, needing better memory to match my curiosity!