nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evans protection

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evans protection
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:16:58 -0600

A possible solution to the cherry eating bird problem might be to encourage
a bird to nest in the tree. Counterintuitive, perhaps, but two years ago a
robin nested in my Evans, kept every other bird away, yet touched none of
the cherries so far as I could see. Last year I had a frost that wiped out
the Evans blossom and had no robin in the tree. Someone might want to try
putting a robin nesting platform right in the tree. If I'm not too lazy, I
might just give the robins another chance to save my cherry crop.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI