nafex - RE: [NAFEX] direct seeding

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@columbia-center.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] direct seeding
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:34:39 -0800

To the list,

Several years ago I experimented with direct seeding of tomatoes here in western Oregon by using plastic gallon milk jugs as mini-greenhouses. I cut out the bottom with a pair of tin snips, punched a hole in the top and bottom of the handle and threaded a thin stake through it to anchor it into the soil. The screw cap could be removed on a sunny day to prevent excessive heat buildup.

Under each jug I planted 2 or 3 seeds, later thinned to the strongest. It created enough heat in the spring to make each plant green and bushy. When it filled the jug, I replaced the jug with a wire cage wrapped in clear plastic until summer weather had arrived.

The plants were vigorous and yielded well. I had tried starting seeds indoors and transplanting out at earlier times but lost a lot to damping off, and the ones set out never really recovered from transplant shock.

Betty Mayfield