nafex - [NAFEX] downside of free potassium source

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] downside of free potassium source
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:39:44 -0500

Been there, done that...the granite dust from tombstone cutting works well as
a soil amendment...now here's possible downside:

The material used to polish blast and shine granite tombstones is aluminum, I
believe aluminum oxide. The aluminum they buy in boxes, and they buy it
every year. My way of thinking, that can only mean that the aluminum is
ending up mixed with the granite dust. Can anyone prove this?

Can anyone prove that the aluminum constitutes a hazard applied to crops?
Aluminum is implicated as a symptom of alzheimer's building up in the brain
tissues of those with the disease...is it a cause of the disease or merely a
symptom? Remember aluminum is everywhere in the soil.

I belive I first read about the free granite dust from something Lee Reich
wrote...

Donna, thanks huge for your calculations on the Zinc, what a huge help!!!
And may I ask, why apply Boron? I know pears have a considerable Boron
content in the fruit.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 with many tombstones and granite dust...