nafex - Re: [NAFEX] USPS shipping efficiency

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] USPS shipping efficiency
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:57:50 -0600

Hi Folks,
My small experience with budwood and semi-lignified cuttings makes me a firm
believer in next day air
or similar shipping. In terms of weekend issues, the USPS is the only way to
go. Although they do not
garuntee that your package will stay cold, they do garuntee it will not
freeze. UPS does not! Anything
shipped UPS WILL sit on a dock all weekend, and maybe freeze. I have seen
this three years in a row
with rootstock and learned my lesson. Always ship early in the week (MONDAY!)
and 3 day select at
least for any distance if UPS. Proirity can be as many as 5 and sometimes 7
days if going from the
east coast past Denver. The ADC (distribution center for USPS) there is
notoriously slow and you can
add an extra day. The areas of NM UT and AZ are very difficult to Priority in
less than 3 days. I have
had packages take 9 days to these areas.
Scionwood is all good with three day delivery, Select or Priority. Any longer
and I would make sure
any cut ends had been sealed with wax right after cutting. Sorry if this
seems my writing style is
quick tonight, busy time of year!
Forgive the lack of literary graces,
Heron Breen
Zone 4 Maine

On Wed Feb 23 15:49 , 'Bruce Wittchen' <herenorthere@lycos.com> sent:

>Tanis asked if Priority Mail shipped late in the week is going to sit in a
>warehouse on Sunday & any
holiday. My answer reply is that Priority Mail can keep moving on Sunday.
My preferred day for
shipping is Saturday. But that's only because I have a nearby PO that gets
its packages into the
system if dropped off before noon. Priority Mail I send Saturday almost
always arrives in Monday's
delivery in the lower 48, except in southern Oregon. Monday shipments seem
to take three days more
frequently. But I know of others who find priority mail dropped off on
Saturday arrives no sooner
than packages mailed on Monday. Maybe it depends on the local PO. As to
whether it matters whether
plant material is delivered in two days instead of three days; I've never
noticed any difference. But
I've never tried shipping or receiving leafy budwood or anything like that.
>Bruce Wittchen
>Zone 6, 1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT
>--
>to change other email