nafex - [NAFEX] Turkish Figs

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Turkish Figs
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:02:59 -0500

Hello All,

I have twoTurkish figs that 'The List' co-erced me into trying last
year. One is in a 5 gal pot and another in a 2.5 gal pot. I moved them
indoors into my basement cold room last Nov after all their leaves had
fallen. The temp in my cold room hovers about 50 (11 Celsius). Watered
them as needed.

I just returned home from a weekend away and noticed that my small fig
has its terminal bud elongating with a definite leaf starting to
uncurl. The buds on the large fig are starting to swell. This being
late Feb just north of Toronto, its a bit too early for outdoors
exposure (how about 10 weeks too early!). Is it time to bring them out
of their dark hibernation? In a couple of weeks, my attached garage
could be an option to slow them down; right now it will drop to a few
degrees below freezing on cold nights.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John B

Canadian Zone 6B (I think)
Avge Daily Hi: 34, Avge Daily Low: 19 - for Feb 21