nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Male grapes?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Male grapes?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:28:58 -0500

My Meyers Lemon is in bloom, and I notice that most of the flowers are male. A few of the flowers are bisexual, that is, they appear to have both male and female parts. The male flowers seem to have more pollen.

In the past I've noticed a few male flowers, but never so many. I wonder if I am just more observant this time, or if there is something about the conditions that lead it to produce more flowers of one sex or another.

Ginda Fisher

p.s. The tree is in a pot in a window, now. During the summer, it was outdoors in the ground. When it got cold, I brought it in. Then it dropped all its leaves and started to grow new leaves and branches. It looked pretty sad for a bit, but looks very vigorous right now, with lots of new growth coming from every which way.
gkf