nafex - [NAFEX] Male Grape Question

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Male Grape Question
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:22:09 -0600

Naomi asked: "I have never heard of a male grape. Please tell more."
The 'Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada," by Britton
& Brown describes VITIS (That's, "Grape," in Latin) as follows:
............................Flowers mostly dioecious, or polygamo-dioecious,
rarely perfect. Webster defines 'dioecious' as, "Having staminate and
pistillate flowers borne on different individuals." "Perfect" means to have
both male and female flower parts within the same flower.
What Britton and Brown are telling us is that grapes are sort of a
catch-all in that we could find male and female flowers on separate plants,
or both types of flowers appearing separately on the same plant or,
"...........rarely," having male AND female parts in the same flower.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN