nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What's safe to eat and what isn't

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What's safe to eat and what isn't
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:59:43 -0500

As levels of medicinal compounds and of nutrients can vary widely within one species depending both on the exact variety and the growing conditions, I wonder if the differing reports of safety/toxicity of the same fruit might be due to this factor. If that's so, then the fruit of the same species might be safe or dangerous to eat, depending on which population it was picked from and possibly also on soil and weather conditions in that growing season. Individual human reactions can also vary considerably.

Others on this list might well know more about this than I do.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly