nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What's safe to eat and what isn't

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: Bill Russell <shaman@pennswoods.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What's safe to eat and what isn't
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:32:27 -0800 (PST)

While teaching in Ireland I remember remarking to a local about how all the
cemeteries
had beautiful and very old yew trees. He said the reason was simple - since
yew are
deadly poisonous to cattle, it rather encourages the local farmers to keep
the fences up,
and their cattle out. He said they were equally poisonous to people.
Perhaps the difference is European compared to American yew? Or are the
American yew
seeds equally nasty, but only if you chew?
Del, ...just learned we have had the 5th warmest Nov. on recond in
Minnesota......And the
15th coolest summer.

=====
Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN