nafex - [NAFEX] winter prep--Pluots

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] winter prep--Pluots
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

I have the 4X1 Pluot (F.King/Queen/Flavor Supreme\DappleDandy) on Citation...so am glad I asked about this!  It's rated for zone 6.  We are outside of Glouster, OH (north of Athens, OH if that helps anyone).  Our winters are quite variable...we've rarely gotten below 0 degrees F, but can get some big variations in temperature, moisture, wind, etc.  The tree is planted on a hilltop, with a large, heavily branched mullberry tree about 30 feet away upwind, which should act as a windbreak of sorts.

I will take your advice and wrap the trunk and mulch.  I was thinking of putting hardware cloth around all of the trees to prevent rodent damage too...especially if I am mulching.  Would hate to provide a cozy mouse nest with food (my trees!)

Deb Schneider
Glouster, OH Zone 5/6

  • [NAFEX] winter prep--Pluots, Deb Schneider, 09/24/2004