nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Question.......

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Question.......
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:04:53 -0500

Title: Message
Jim, my experience here in St. Paul is that there's quite a bit of difference on how black currants ripen, depending on cultivar.

My 'Crandall' currants, which are not R. nigra, ripen very ununiformly.  I picked my first about a month ago and fruit on the lower branches are still ripening.  Undoubtedly, the harvest is more drug out when the growing season temperatures have been cool as they have been this year.  In Kansas, where summer temperatures are considerably higher, wild buffalo currants ripen all their berries within a week or so.  Luckily, Crandall holds its berries well until they can be picked (although those that are ripe too long will begin to dry on the plant).

My 'Consort' currants seem to ripen fairly evenly and can usually be picked in two pickings.  They also seem to stick pretty well to the bush.

I have found 'Ben Sarek' very likely to drop if the fruit is left ripe on the plant too long.  Other Ben series cultivars seem to vary, with 'Ben Lamond' possibly sticking best when ripe.

--Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4b)