nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crandall Harvest

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crandall Harvest
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:00:47 -0400

Hi,

I usually only do two pickings of Crandalls. Crandalls will hang ripe for a week or two, so push your harvests to the end of the time window to get the bulk of them.

Crandalls do not ripen uniformaly. However, I have one bush close to a jiddie pool that gets defoliated from the hard/chlorine content of the pool water. The leaves fall, but the fruit remains. With exposure to sun, the fruit all seem to ripen more uniformly.

I hear of grape leaves being removed to improve ripening,. It may work for Crandall as well.

There are so many currants this year that most are going to waste.

Later,
Tom