nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Sorbus X Pyrus

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Sorbus X Pyrus
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:17:53 +0000

Doreen, your previous posting on this topic I think stated 'Shipova' as a Pyrus x Sorbus. I made it to the Carandale demo plot tour Saturday, and the 'Shipova' grower's label said Sorbus x Pyrus. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the Rosaceae, but plant breeders usually try to describe a cross as Female parent x Male parent, because sometimes it makes a difference.

Does anyone know for sure which is correct for 'Shipova'?

The 'Shipova' at Carandale looked to me, at first glance, like a mis-labelled pear. On closer inspection it had strongly-toothed amelanchier-like leaves, simle rather than compound, on pear-like branches & twigs. Interesting. I didn't think to ask anyone if it fruits in a panicle or a single pome.

tc