nafex - Re: [NAFEX] When is fig ripe??

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] When is fig ripe??
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:00:10 -0700

It probably depends on the cultivar.

I grow a green one. When it is ripe it has an opened 'eye' at the bottom, is slightly yellow, no longer shiny, and is soft. When picked, it sags. We can suck the centre out, and it is absolutely delicious. They are tasteless if picked even half a day early.

The rats know this. They eat only the ripe ones, so it is a challenge. If a fig is not quite ripe in the evening, then it will ripen and be eaten during the night. It's a good thing I have a big tree which produces more than we can eat.

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8