nafex - [NAFEX] Pear Ripening (Core Rot)

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pear Ripening (Core Rot)
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:05:37 -0700

Pear ripening experts:

I know that it is recommended to pick late summer/fall ripening pears before
they are ripe and if you don't you
have a chance of having the core rot. I usually check into picking when the
pears start to drop (not preharvest
drop) and also when they start to turn from a green to a slight lightening to
yellow. This has worked great for
most varieties. But for some it is difficult to tell for sure. I had some
Ubileen pears on my trees for the
first time this year and when I went to cut them open most all of them had
the core rot. I have problems with
Clapps Favorite in some years doing the same thing.

Are there any cultural considerations to keep in mind? Any fertilizers
and/or trace elements? What are your
suggestions and experiences? On some varieties I rarely ever have any core
rot.

Thanks,
Bob Hartman
Western Washington