nafex - [NAFEX] Plum Choices

  • From: "Penny White" <PlumHillFarm@gmavt.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum Choices
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:00:29 -0400

Hello, we have several plums on this list which have fruited.

Green Gage
Takes years until large harvest, susceptible to brown rot, very good
flavor, Our tree is ~ ten years old, and tis year is the first large set.

Alderman
Large fruit later bloom (needs late blooming plum to pollinate) and
riping than most american/japanese hybrids, good, self thins late (ie have
to early thin to prevent branch breaking)

Techumseh
Very good bright red fruit, early bearer ripens here beginning august
(ie now)

Toka
Early bearing smaller fruit, extremely aromatic very good, blooms
early for an extended period. We have not had any health problems with this
tree, but a early late frost will knock out the buds. Ripens beginning
august (not yet this year)

Underwood
Larger than Toka but not as aromatic. Appears to be very hardy (ie
always has at least some fruit), good tasting, starting to ripen now

Kahinta
Last year was its first large harvest (4 years), roundish sweet aromatic
very good, ripens mid august, heavy bearing

Pembina
Early bearing very tasty, but cracks like crazey. Our main use for this
plum is to make "talking plum jam" (the cracks look like smiles).

S. Dakota
Pretty smaller yellow gold fruit with alittle orange color. Sweet, mild,
not so heavy producer (ie don't have to thin much). Our south dakotas appear
to be the same as our "La Cresent" even though we got then from different
sources. Starting to ripen now.

My favorites are Toka, Kahinta, Techumseh, Alderman, and they all ripen at
different times.

Eric White
Charlotte, Vt. Zone 4