nafex - [NAFEX] Espalier Crabapple?

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Espalier Crabapple?
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:03:58 -0400

Hello All,

I am planning on putting in a espaliered crabapple and need advice. The graft of this spring is now ready for transplant to it's location.

My plan is for a formal espalier with 4 to 5 cordons. It is going against a masonary wall, and the trellis will be of wood.

----------------

----------------

If I understand properly, When the whip reaches the first trellis bar I cut it off and with a little luck 2 dormant lateral buds will emerge, along with a new leader. This is repeated at each new cordon level. Is that correct?

In your experience what is the best distance between cordons for a espaliered crabapple?

Is there anything I should do to encourage the two laterals and new leader to develop at each cut?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

--