nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: The serviceberry's fruit often overlooked

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: The serviceberry's fruit often overlooked
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 06:56:06 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Re: The serviceberry's fruit often overlooked
A. laevis is supposed to grow down to Florida.  "Jennybelle" is a selection of it.

Given how widely the genus Amelanchier is distributed, it seems possible
there could be some native forms in your area.  If so, have you looked to
see if there are any and if they have more rust resistance?  Might be good
potential for development if there are local, resistant forms.

I sez:

Good idea.  I think the Amelanchier's are mainly found in cold
climates.  I tried two species which are said to adapt to the climate here.
I heard that Dr. Bullard who is just about 100 miles NE of me served members
a pie made from Juneberries one year. I'll try to get up with him someday.
There are indigenous mayhaws which survive and reproduce here but the
berries are too small to be of much interest to those who would like to
cultivate them for their fruit. They blossom here about the same time as
plums and are a welcome harbinger of spring.
Doc Lisenby