nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Ladybug and Wasp Damage

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Ladybug and Wasp Damage
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:12:05 -0400

Hello,

This has been mentioned on the list before.  Native and Asian ladybugs primary food is aphids.  The problem is that after the first frost of autumn, or when the weather is cooler, the aphids die off.

I am not sure if Asian ladybugs eat fruit, but I bet they will eat insects attracted to damaged fruit.  Sort of like blaming the police for being found at the scene of a crime after it occurred.

I have only seen Asian ladybugs around damaged fruit, most likely dining on bugs I cannot see.

Later,
Tom

Ruth Dykstra wrote:
40B72E08.4030108@drdykstra.us">   Maybe our native ladybugs don't eat fruit, but the Asian Ladybugs
   that have been very numerous late in the summer the last few years
   definitely do.  I have had significant fruit damage on the
   raspberries.  With the apples and asian pears  the ladybugs enlarge
   any tiny bird peck so much that the fruit can appear to be stuffed
   with ladybugs inside a hollow behind the skin.  I grow Reliance
   peach so it ripens before the ladybugs are so numerous.  They also
   can bite humans.  It doesn't break the skin so it has no
   after-effects, but it is painful while they do it.  Someone told me
   that they don't bite, they pinch.  If I pinched someone with my
   mouth parts they would propably call it a bite!  We also have yellow
   jackets and bald-faced hornets, but mostly on the drops.  No-one has
   been stung in the orchard yet, When I pick up the drops they just
   happily move to the bucket and continue their sweet feast.

   Ruth
   Northern Illinois, Zone 5