nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Ladybug and Wasp Damage

  • From: Ruth Dykstra <ruthnafex@drdykstra.us>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Ladybug and Wasp Damage
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:18:16 -0500

Maybe our native ladybugs don't eat fruit, but the Asian Ladybugs
that have been very numerous late in the summer the last few years
definitely do. I have had significant fruit damage on the
raspberries. With the apples and asian pears the ladybugs enlarge
any tiny bird peck so much that the fruit can appear to be stuffed
with ladybugs inside a hollow behind the skin. I grow Reliance
peach so it ripens before the ladybugs are so numerous. They also
can bite humans. It doesn't break the skin so it has no
after-effects, but it is painful while they do it. Someone told me
that they don't bite, they pinch. If I pinched someone with my
mouth parts they would propably call it a bite! We also have yellow
jackets and bald-faced hornets, but mostly on the drops. No-one has
been stung in the orchard yet, When I pick up the drops they just
happily move to the bucket and continue their sweet feast.

Ruth
Northern Illinois, Zone 5