nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Balmer or McKay Peach

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Balmer or McKay Peach
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:31:28 -0500

When I get the Balmer peaches, I will let the list know how many pits I have
available. Then, I'll mail to everyone interested. The man who has this
tree tells me that he lets the pits lay on the ground all winter, and they
sprout on their own in the spring. I'm a little more controlled than that
and stratify mine in the refrigerator until they sprout.

Tom O. asked if they seeds should be soaked in bleach first. I don't see
the reason, but I certainly don't know everything. I've never done that
before, and the pits I've raised to trees are in excellent health. If I
remember correctly, the worst peach disease problem in brown rot, and that
doesn't affect the pits. I'm sure I can send pits to Canada for you Tom.
I'll disguise them as reading material!
Doreen Howard