nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Cicadas, eating thereof

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Cicadas, eating thereof
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 12:44:10 -0400

Ginda, no problem here. Sorry about referring to you as a nurse.
Sensationalism is rampant in readings as well as in listenings and seeings.
"Hope springs eternal "and hope is a strong stimulus to advertisement and
research money. Especially when we are trying to combat a big killer of men
and women in their most productive years. We are making progress but very,
very slowly. Tangent ideas are sometimes helpful but big money is a strong
impetus to suppress them. Current suggestions are being evaluated but if
there is no monetary reward to big business, then research is discouraged.
If my opinion means anything, then I would suggest that we eat less of
everything but a little of everything.
Lon, I realize that semantics do play a part in distinquishing pod from bean
and seed and I should have made my statement more clear. When discussing a
subject it is important to clarify discussed items for the intended reader.
If I were discussing a green bean to eat, I guess for some readers, I should
distinguish between pod, bean and seed. Thanks for bringing it to my
attention.
Honey Locust, in this location anyway, produces a seed pod with plenty of
sweet pulp and may be as much as a foot long. Some people enjoy snacking on
them, me included, and I have sampled an alcoholic drink made of these pods.
It is locally called "Locust Beer" but to be didactically correct it, I
suppose it would be a wine or liquor. Locust Pods were probably eaten by
Native Americans, I've seen decorations and necklaces made of the seeds in
museums.
The nectar from Locust flowers yields a water-white honey if the beekeeper
can gather it before it is adulterated with other nectar.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8