nafex - Re: [NAFEX] feral apples

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] feral apples
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 08:36:09 EDT

Thisxz is a good time of the year to "search" for "wild apples". I constantly look for apple trees blooming along the roads and trails - trees that were not planted but may have grown from a discarded apple core. These are hybrid apples, not old varieties and may be good or not so good, but are worth a second look. I found one growing along a railroad bed on the side of a big hill (small mountain) and it was very good. It was lost when the road was improved and there was a need for fill. Note these treesa while in bloom and return later to check out the fruit, there may be another Yellow Delicious growing there.

Ed Mashburn