nafex - Re: [NAFEX] feral apples

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] feral apples
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 08:17:50 -0400

Hi,

Wasn't the Macintosh a wild apple growing in a field fence line? Also, why
do many governments retain large
gene bank collections of older heirloom/antique varieties? There is plenty
of value in old apple varieties in
my opinion.

I must take a moment to thank Fred Jansen for some old variety scions.

The older apples are used to breed the new apples, and there is value there.

I would agree that many older varieties are problematic for large orchards,
and it is not cost effective for
supermarket apple production to use heirloom varieties. However, the small
backyard orchardist does not worry
about those things. The small producer grows what they like to eat.

My in-laws have a farmhouse orchard full of Macintosh, Northern Spy, Yellow
Transparent, Improved Snow, and
Blenheim Pippin that I would stack up against any modern apple. This orchard
was planted in 1918 and is in
decline, and they had dwarf trees grafted to replace the old standards. And
yes, they used scions from those
old variety apple trees. They have ignored the modern varieties, because
they enjoy the old apples.

There are economic production costs that large apple producers must consider.
However, my wife's favorite apple
(and she eats them all) is Improved Snow (local variation of Fameuse), so
that is the apple I grow. I am also
playing with an apple I took scions from found in a fence line.

The last I heard the new owners of Fred Jansen's property were using the
orchard collection as a horse pasture,
and the horses were destroying the collection. Has anyone heard anything
more recent than this?

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Later,
Tom