nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Cicadas, eating thereof

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Cicadas, eating thereof
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:17:04 -0500

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Cicadas, eating thereof

Why not let guineas or ducks eat the beetles in your yard or orchard and then later enjoy the birds on the dinner table?  Despite the fact that poultry is touted by many as a good control for Jpanese beetles, researched-based info on using poultry to control Japanese beetles, ticks, grasshoppers and other insect pests is rare.  However, one Univ. of Wisconsin source (http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/fea508.html ) provides info on biological controls (including wild birds and poultry) of insects.

Also, the book, Gardening with Guineas, promotes these feathered furries as a control for Japanese beetles and other pests (see  http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/)

And here's something by one woman who values guineas for their keeping Japanese beetles under control: http://search.csmonitor.com/durable/1999/10/06/p17s1.htm

On the other hand, this guinea grower finds guineas of little value in controlling Japanese beetles.  Her humorous assessment can be seen at http://www.portlandphoenix.com/features/postcard/documents/03378642.asp.