nafex - [NAFEX] Cicadas, eating thereof

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cicadas, eating thereof
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:20:22 -0400

As Jerry Lehman mentioned in his American Persimmon Interest Group Article
(Pomona, Spring '04) some Native American diet items have gone unappreciated
over the years. However uninformed this information may seem, there is an
element of fact in it.
Being that this is a target year for the emergence of tenerals from all
those grubs which have been gnawing our delicate feeder roots for almost two
decades, there is a chance for revenge and also to revive a favored fare of
this Land's former inhabitants.
They are surprisingly delicious and in some parts of the Country there will
be plenty of them to sample if you are so inclined. Try 'em. You'll
probably like 'em. The females are best. The listed site has several
recipes. I'd advise one to stay away from the saturated fat in the
chocolate covered ones. Leave a few to serenade me with their "July Fly
Overture" on a hot summer afternoon while I sip my Mint Julep.

http://www.urhome.umd.edu/newsdesk/pdf/cicada%20recipes.PDF

Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8 (SC-whar we don't know nothin' 'bout no 'simmon puddin' but the
'possums are good 'n fat)