nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planting Clonal Rootstock

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planting Clonal Rootstock
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:41:34 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2004 9:14:50 AM US Eastern Standard Time, Mauch1@aol.com writes:

>Question 1: How important is it to get the individual roots of a clonal
>rootstock layed out in its own path?

I never prune the roots unless extremely long.  Yes, if a tree planter was used they would nearly 100% be pushed around the main stem (tap root in case of seedlings). My conclusion is placing the roots evenly around and layered as original isn't necessary or it isn't fatal not to distribute them.

I'll tell you what I do, right, wrong or no matter. Others will have different advise. If there are many fibrous roots I spread them out in layers, about three and try as much as possible to place them equally around.

The most critical is watering every week the first year. Water, water, water. There are exceptions like water more in sandy soil less in heavy clays.

Don't put amenities with the soil you took out. Or replace with a different type of soil. Doing so can increase the problem of the crack that develops around the edge on the hole. They expand and shrink at different rates and roots cannot jump across an open gap. Do all you can to prevent this open gap that also allows moisture to evaporate out faster.

Others will have different ideas.

Jerry Lehman