nafex - [NAFEX] Black Walnut..was..Clonal Rootstock

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Walnut..was..Clonal Rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:24:09 -0500

Del you may be lighting a brushfire here - in the seedling vs. clonal debate
- just this morning I went with a
bow saw at a black walnut seedling here borne of the Elmer Myers Black Walnut
strain.

Observing the extremely straight and exceptionally vigorous growth I
hesitated with the bow saw. I can see
this walnut hitting 20' by August, from the 12' it is now.

I do think we oversell clonal varieties and clonal rootstocks too much.
There are distinct disadvantages to
the clonal approach....and not enough growing from seed.

I don't know what to do about the seedling walnut. Obviously it'll make a
decent saw log in just 10 years vs.
the typical 20. I've never seen such vigor. And how-ever can I propagate
it if it proves of value for either
timber or for nuts? Root cuttings? Is it possible to obtain Black Walnut
trees from root cuttings?
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts