nafex - [NAFEX] My view of black currants (long)

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] My view of black currants (long)
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:54:18 EST

I would like to present another version of “Black currants, a forgotten fruit”

I have known Lee Reich for a long time, he has visited me at my planting, we have corresponded and we have attended several conferences at the same time. Lee is a Free Lance writer and has written several books and many articles. I believe that he derives much of his livelihood by writing and speaking about fruit, of many kinds and types. I therefore do not wish to question his knowledge, but I feel that his style of writing is slanted to “what the public and the publishers like and want.

I would not open and article nor would I even include the comments of a herbalist such as John Gerard – I think that time has proven that it was just his personal opinion which has not stood the test of time. In spite of his declaration that black currants are stinking and loathsome, there are approximately 800,000 metric tons grown each year and I expect that most of them are actually consumed. About 90% are made into juice which is very good, very nutritious (even being recommended for infants) and is sold all over Europe. The juices are not readily available in the US, but that is our loss. The people that I know that make juice from black currants either have no trouble selling it or hoard it for their own use.

I agree that black currant can be made in excellent jam, the pies are the best there are and the flavor of black currant is strong and can be mixed with many other fruits (and in my humble opinion, improves most of them) Licorice flavoring is for kids, black currant flavor is used in many foods, drinks and desserts. The color is a very rich color and is even used to help color marketed juice of wild blueberries (in Maine – a state that restricts growing of all black currants)

As Lee alluded, Cassis a liqueur made from black currants, but you do not have to be French to enjoy it. Black currant wine is excellent and may make you give up grapes (sorry Lon, that’s just how good it is)

I did an article some years ago indicating that black currant is the most nutritious fruit available. That was before the nutraceutical value was generally known. Now it is recognized as therapeutic as well as just plain good.

The black currants that were developed in Canada that are completely immune to White Pine Blister Rust are just that, they are little better than no black currant at all. There are now a number of black currants that are immune to WPBR and more that are highly resistant to it. Most of these are from Russia or have Russian parentage. Titania, a cultivar developed in Sweden is an excellent example of this. The WPBR does not infect black currant, it resides on the leaf and rarely causes a great deal of trouble except in the Pacific NW, both Canada and the US where it may defoliate most of the susceptible plants. Many black currant varieties are susceptible to mildew which may cause more trouble to currants than WPBR.

I grow strawberries because they are so easy to sell, I grow black currants because I really like them more than other fruit. I often pick handfuls as I cut the grass between the rows, I eat many before they are completely ripe, and am very sorry to see the last of them in late July.

Ed Mashburn