nafex - [NAFEX] freezing scions

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] freezing scions
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:53:31 +0000

The first year I froze scions it worked beautifully the second year I did it differently and it was a total failure.
The first year I put the scions in a plastic bag then submerged it in a three gallon jug which I put in the freezer. I took them out in mid June and grafted them and the takes were nearly the same as for scions that weren't frozen.
The second year I tried to save space by putting them in bags and then in small, long trays filled with water. The water didn't cover all of the bag and so there were areas in the bag taht weren't protected by ice but rather only by a thin layer of plastic (between it and the freezer air). Thus I believe the failure.
Kevin Bradley

Rethink your business approach for the new year with the helpful tips here. http://special.msn.com/bcentral/prep04.armx