nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Citrus

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Citrus
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:04:49 -0500

Went to the South Carolina Citrus Fruit Expo last Saturday in Columbia and other than the very cool and windy weather, it was very enjoyable.. A few pointers which were new to me might help some of you who are interested in hardy citrus.
Frost does more damage than cold temperatures.  Big problem is not watering enough during winter months.  Three problem insects are: White Flies (sooty mold carriers), Citrus Leaf Miners and Spider Mites.  Dormant oil spraying is recommended and soapy water may be beneficial.  Sandy soils are better than clay soils.  Sweetness determined by lack of water.  "Expert" advice as to what will grow in certain zones is doubtful and is disproved often. Frost protection "cage" of PVC pipe and frost cloth works as does electric lamp bulbs thermostatically controlled. Flushing frost off with water soon may help if done early. A lot of flavor depends on the rind rather than the fruit in marmalade.
I tried the Satsuma and Limequat fruit even tho' the grower admitted that the Satsuma wasn't as sweet as usual because of too much rain. They were both good. All were grown on trifoliate root stock which results in some dwarfing and is for the hobby grower, not the commercial grower.
Thanks for those who were involved in the notification, invitation and conducting of this program.
I recommend that those who are interested in hardy citrus to attend the next one.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Hardy Citrus, Doc Lisenby, 11/30/2003