nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Porcupines

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Porcupines
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:32:44 EST

In a message dated 11/26/2003 1:17:50 AM US Eastern Standard Time, bnikolai@shaw.ca writes:

push him out with a long stick, stuff him in a big wooden box (very carefully), and drive off to Manitoba to release him.

Then the people in Manitoba transport their unwanted porks to Alberta. That seems like a fare exchange, but solves the problem?

In this area Raccoons are a problem. Several were live trapped by myself and transported to the next county and released. Then one day I said to myself, " Self, do you want them to bring their unwanted animals here?"

Rather than spread the misery, I now dispatch them.

Are porks good to eat? I read somewhere that the Native Americans had a rule to let them alone because they were so easy to catch for food, but reserved them for when weather conditions were bad and successful hunting limited. A kind of fast food storage on the hoof.

Jerry Lehman