nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bananas

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bananas
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:26:12 -0800 (PST)

when I was in college I spent 6 months doing field
anthropology in an indigenous region of costa rica
(mid 70's). The Bri-bri had a huge variety of plant
material and typically had 5 or 6 varieties of bananas
growing near their houses not including ornamental
varieties or plantains. The favorite was either the
finger bananas or the high quality "chiquita" banana
(not the dull cavendish). I was quite happy to find
the same variety in stores in the states, but it seems
they have disappeared for the past 5 or 6 years and
now Chiquita (brand) bananas seem to be bland, sharp
angled huge Cavendishs...however, we can get finger
(baby) bananas, reds and plantains on a regular basis
and occaisionally apple bananas here in Petoskey. I
just miss the rounder, medium sized bananas of the
70's, they had a lot of flavor when when picked green
and counterripened. I can't imagine any of them for
pot culture, however, they grew about 15 feet tall and
in clump diameter!