nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Just how far are bananas from extinction

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Just how far are bananas from extinction
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:49:04 -0500

Hello,

This is not banana "extinction", that is media hype. What is really going
going on here is the
problem associated with mononculture.

What happens when 90% of banana farmers (insert any fruit) all grow the same
named variety, and a
disease or pest comes along that happens to target that particular variety?
One of two things; 1)
solution is found to pest/disease, 2) Farmers start growing a variety that is
resistant to
pest/disease.

That is why variety diversity is so import. That is why cultural genebanks
exist, preserving
diversity. Finally, that is why NAFEX is here (well maybe not for bananas).

It is not extinction, but a monoculture side effect. Who knows, maybe we
will get a better
tasting, older banana variety, that has fallen to the wayside because it has
a 1% shorter shelf
life than Cavendish.

Is it just me and aging taste buds, or are bananas less tasty than 30 years
ago? When did
Cavendish become the number one grown banana?

Later,
Tom