nafex - RE: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nuttrees//comfrey

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nuttrees//comfrey
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:02:54 -0500

breen@fedcoseeds.com said:
>a few don'ts rather than do's: You will be very sorry if you
introduce comfrey into your life. It spreads rapidly and >rampantly and,
although a great soil breaker and mulcher, will never ever leave or stop its
advance.

We have planted comfrey whereever we lived for more than a couple of
years (12 years and now 15 years where we are now) and haven't had it spread.
We got cuttings to start 3 plants here, about 13 or 14 years ago, and it is
generally ignored, except to cut some leaves occassionaly for mulch, and
hasn't spread to more than 5 feet by 10 feet. No idea what variety it might
be., but it hasn't caused us any problems. It is past the edge of the mowed
lawn, and only rarely gets trimmed by mowing.

Jm Erdman, in Menomonie, WI, cold side of zone 4

<<winmail.dat>>