nafex - [NAFEX] From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>

  • From: "Pete B" <pete@cmpsource.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:32:51 -0500

Hi Mark and All
I think "Raintree" sells the Chilean guava. The cost of shipping is equal to the plant to LA. I guess I will have to spring for one...no pun...ha.
I have read lots about the Chilean guava and it is said to be hardy here to zone 8b.
They are hard to find, however...I bought seeds, but no luck. Think the seeds must be fresh.
The pineapple guava is indestructible here in 8b. Nothing hurts it so far. I have read and heard it's good to 0 deg. F.
Mine have seen 19 deg F with no problem at all. In Hammond, LA, at the LSU Ag station there, there are many large bushes of them.
Mine are sparse to fruit, so I got a couple little plants from Mellingers' and already they have more fruit on 'em than the very large old plants. Also, each year they are covered with flowers. Kinda get tired of eating flowers after a while...ha ha.
I have a strawberry guava (I think) and have one in the ground and another in a pot for insurance.
Good Luck...
Pete in Pearl River, La.

  • [NAFEX] From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>, Pete B, 07/29/2003