nafex - RE: [NAFEX] figs,mulberry and jujuge oh my!

  • From: "Needham Greg" <needhamgr@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] figs,mulberry and jujuge oh my!
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:14:20 +0000

Mark (and anybody else interested in jujubes),
When I have tried growing jujubes in spots that only got part sun they have survived, but not fruited. They seem to do better the more sun and heat they get. That having been said about my own experience only, I do know how you can have your questions answered- contact Roger Meyer at 16531 Mount Shelly Circle in Fountain Valley, CA 92708-2440- ask for a pricelist and how to order the jujube book! Roger has by far the largest number of interesting jujube cultivars for sale (at least to my knowledge), including some new (to the U.S.) Chinese and Russian cultivars he has made available in the last few years. I am thinking that the Russian ones in particular might be more worth a try if you have less heat, but he does sell Honey Jar too- and Lon is right, it has very sweet and flavorful fruit. Roger has always sent me great plants, and he has sure collected some wonderful cultivars! I also highly recommend his Jujube Primer and Sourcebook- it is great reading and is the only source I am aware of that gives a lot of info on jujubes- everything is covered in this book! If you are interested in jujubes you owe it to yourself to get a copy! And ask Roger which cultivar(s) will thrive and produce in your neck of the woods- he will know! Hope this helps-

Greg