nafex - RE: [NAFEX] bumble aggression

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen@acd.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] bumble aggression
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:33:41 -0400

It has been my experience that all bees are good to have around the garden
and orchard. The flowers love them as well. But get around the nest and
hornets, sweat bees and, yes, bumble bees get pretty nasty, as they ought
to. I do not bother these critters even when during cider making I have to
continuously remove hornets from the brew. But, if they build their nest in
a tree tube, near a new tree needing irrigation, near the entrance to the
house, barn, or greenhouse, I spray the nest with killer chemicals or use
water in the case of sweat bees.

Bruce

z5 MI