nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bearberry (Cascara sagrada)

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bearberry (Cascara sagrada)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 03:06:40 +0000

Lon,
this sounds just like a couple species of exotic buckthorns taking over s.WI (and the rest of the midwest?) I don't have the latin names in front of me; I always get the common & latin names of the 2 mis-matched.
Seed of the one is strongly purgative to birds, also to people. Pretty much unpalatable for people, but the birds seem to love them.

There's also a native species of buckthorn, a marsh shrub.

tc