nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bearberry (Cascara sagrada)

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bearberry (Cascara sagrada)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 02:15:52 -0000

Jujube, called BER in Hindi, is a fairly important commercial fruit crop in
warm and dry parts of the North West India ( states of Punjab, Haryana and
Rajasthan). It is grown in this area since long and now its cultivation is
is increasing every year.

Here the plants are propagated by ring budding on the seedlings of wild BER
which is very closely related to commercial BER, at the most may be another
species of the genus Zizyphus as there has always been a controversy in the
botanical classification of Zizyphus among taxonomists.

I do not think that one needs to go that as Cascara for finding a rootstock
for jujube.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com