nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Amelanchier

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Amelanchier
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:35:43 -0400

Bill,
Sorry to hear about the death of your spicebushes. Have you noticed any
change in the population density of Spicebush Swallowtail butterflies?
Here in North Carolina, about 15 miles west of Winston-Salem, the
spicebushes are very healthy. Wild plants grow along all the shady stream
banks, with an open, leggy habit - up to 12 ft tall and 20 ft wide. The
ones that I have grown from wild seed and planted in my yard, which is atop
a broad ridge, do well as long as I keep them well-mulched. In the drier
semi-sun of the yard they grow with a compact, dense habit. They are often
defoliated by caterpillars in late Aug or Sept, but the ones that are more
frequently defoliated grow better than the ones that are not defoliated.
Or is that the healthier bushes attract more caterpillars?
Anyway, I grow them mostly to attract butterflies. But now I will make
some flavored vinegar as well.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC
Hardiness Zone 7A