nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Amelanchier

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Amelanchier
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 21:39:48 -0500

Adding to Lucky's post:
Rodney, I assume you are in Wyoming. Though our mountains in TN are far
from you, these are the Amelanchier that have done best for us:

Regent (selected from N. Dakota)
Jennybelle
A. canadensis from Lawyers Nursery, Montana

Honeywood is highly rate at this site:
http://www.ag.usask.ca/departments/plsc/nfdp/amelanchier/index.html
but it has done poorly here. Considerable Amelanchier info here, Canadian
based.

For yield, the unnamed A. canadensis from Lawyers has done the best, though
gets to 8'. Regent stays about 3', and is much bluer.

As for 'close to blueberry flavor', none of these develop the acids here,
and therefore lack the sweet/tart balance of blueberries for us.

Ken Asmus at Oikos Tree crops is another source I've used, has offered bulk
Regent seedlings in the past at attractive prices.

Amelanchier among the best for edible landscaping, as always fruits here,
despite late freezes, and is our first tree/bush fruit (in mid-May). Rust
is a major problem for many, but fortunately not very severe in the SE US.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6
P.S. On a whim, my wife threw black currants in the dressing yesterday.
Quite nice. Anyone else out there using minor fruits in dressing?