nafex - [NAFEX] off topic - voles?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] off topic - voles?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 09:44:08 -0500

My kittens found a new "outdoor toy" on Halloween. It was about the size of a mouse, with short, grey mouse-like fur. But the tail was shorter than an inch, and the face didn't look quite right for a mouse - maybe the ears were too small? (The death-grimace didn't help the ID.) Also, the rump seemed more square and chubby than the mice I've seen.

Is this a vole?

They have also killed a chipmunk, so I'm optimistic that they will improve the yeild of my currants next year. :)

Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6
A couple of hard frosts, and the leaves are starting to fall.