nafex - [NAFEX] grape jam success

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grape jam success
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:59:23 -0400

Dell,

>1. Sure jell mentions slipping skins, to be ground and added later.....how
>does one slip skins?
They recipe is assuming that you're using Concord or one of
it's "relatives" Vitis lambrusca (or V. lambruscana) where the
skin slips off the meat of the grape when they're ripe.
Depending on Valiant's heritage, it may not be slip skin.

>2. We prefer the taste of frozen jams....it didn't list a recipe there
>(only cooked jam)....I didn't have enough grapes to experiment on this our
>first year....is there perhaps some reason that grape needs cooking?
Cooking would help the pectin "set". Otherwise I don't know...

>3. I picked them just before our first hard freeze (18F) 2 weeks back, is
>there any advantage to letting grapes freeze first on the vine?
I don't think there's any advantage. Germans make "Ice Wine"
by harvesting frozen grapes, and crushing/pressing while still
frozen, so the sugar is more concentrated. The freezing will
tend also to dehydrate the grapes themselves (if left on after
freezing) and you're going to probably lose more grapes.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6