nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Management

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Management
  • Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:01:33 -0400

Thanks to all about my difficulties and it seems that soil seems to be
my main problem.
Moving could be an option if my family roots didn't extend back 300
years in this location where a lot of us have moved away because of more
agricultural suitable areas elsewhere. Agriculture isn't my main
pursuit or concern but personal safety, congeniality of neighbors and
over-population is. I've LIVED (sic) in other areas so I think I will
stay here. New Jersey's soil was amazing, California's climate was
great,
Hawaii was fertile but expensive. Utah, New Mexico and Arizona were
great for some plants if you irrigate or have a long garden hose.
Kansas is great for wheat and Florida's ambiance is enticing for
retirees, insects and semi-tropical crops.
Donna's advice is helpful as usual. At least she recognizes what I am
saying. The A&L Labs (http://www.al-labs-west.com) she mentioned offers
just about any soil analysis one could desire. I think I'll take her
advice and try to amend my soil according to their analysis. After
all, this soil wasn't all that great to start with and was further
depleted by
cotton cultivation for years.
To add credibilty to her opinion, I noticed that cole crops I've tried
responded to cow manure more favorably than any other fertilizer. Rape
loved it. White potatoes had luxuriant foliage (waist high) and
produced a good crop. Urine seemed to kick my fig rootings better than
water.
Thanks for all the help over the years Donna and tell your husband that
one of the Irish names he gave me was used to name my neighbor's girl
--Ciara. I think that is the spelling.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Management, LONGDISTSHTR, 08/03/2002