nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit tree trunk painting

  • From: "HDessureault" <inter.verbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit tree trunk painting
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:23:52 -0500

I agree with you that spiral wraps make a perfect shady cool residence for many bugs. I don't use them myself.
For the last few years, I have used the following recipe :
1/3 latex paint
1/3 agriculture lime
1/3 water
The latex paint makes the mixture adhere better to the tree trunk than just lime and water. I paint on the mixture with a paint brush in the Fall. It is not entirely mice resistant as I have had cases of rodent biting some painted areas, but the damages were minimal. I also have a few cats and dogs which are passionnate hunters of mice.
This year, a neighbour suggested adding fresh cow manure to the mixture, to deter insects as well. I cannot report how effective it is yet, as I have tried it on since the Spring.
It makes a greenish mixture that is thicker than the above recipe, and becomes sort of light beige when dried. I put it on thickly and it sticks well to the tree up to now, is not too unpleasant to deal with, given what it is. The idea is to confuse what bugs and rodents would be normally attracted to tree trunk.
Up to now I like the results and I am planning to put a new layer this Fall to see how it works for the Winter.
Hélène, zone 3-4