nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit tree trunk painting

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit tree trunk painting
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:41:36 -0600 (MDT)

With the GREATEST of trepidation and reluctance I painted the trunks of
about 100 of my apple trees about 3 years ago. I used INTERIOR latex (I had
heard interior is safer, no lead in the paint, and babies can chew on it
without getting sick) mixed 50% with water, and applied it with a one gallon
pump sprayer. I only painted the south and southwest sides of the trunks.
I'm pleased to report zero negative results so far, and the elimination of
sunscald, and possibly a reduction in vole damage as they don't like the
taste of the paint. And I'm in a severe climate where any extra stresses on
my trees causes big problems. So go for it.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta