nafex - Re: [nafex] potential pear rootstock

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] potential pear rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:26:43 -0600

Hi Del,

The idea of using Amelanchier comes from the studies that were done in
Oregon, and were published in Temperate Zone Pomology by Westwood. (Lon,
please correct any inaccuracies here). I cannot recall how many different
scion cultivars were used, but I believe one of them was Comice. The data
showed that Amelanchier had one of the highest yield and dwarfing of any
rootstock.

Also, Wayne Fuhr in Edmonton has been using Amelanchier for pear rootstocks
for a number of years now, and has had quite a bit of success with them. It
is my intention to spring bud 50 cultivars on the Amelanchier alnifolia
'Honeywood' rootstock, which has very low suckering, and see what happens.
I'm interested in the compatibility issue, as I may find that certain
cultivars may or may not be compatible.

There also has been some interspecific hybrids of Amelanchier x Pyrus bred
in the 80's in Edmonton which I hope to receive some scions to trial. From
what I understand, the fruit was very interesting, but not really worthwhile
besides raising your eyebrow.

I visited Brian Smith, breeder at the University of Wisconsin, and his work
on stone fruits is mostly with interspecific breeding. He is attempting to
breed into apricots a later bloom characteristic by using late blooming
plums for a breeding parent, for example. He is trying to bring out the
best of both types of fruit in his seedlings. Possibly that is what needs
to be done here, attempt to combine the best characteristics of pear with
other compatible fruit.

I am going to breed strickly Pyrus in one line, and the Amelanchier X Pyrus
in another line. I've got to give it a try.

Dean

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.