nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Trademarks, copyrights etc.

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Trademarks, copyrights etc.
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 23:29:50 -0500

You can trademark a name, but you can also patent a plant. A patent
protects the thing itself from being copied, not just its name. To get
a patent, you have to show your "thing" is "new". So you couldn't
patent two burgers with special sauce, etc. In general, patented plants
may be bred but not cloned by people who own a copy of the plant, but
not the patent. In some cases of genetically engineered plants, it is
the gene itself which is protected (not just the combination of genes)
and it is not even legal to breed the plant.

If you grow corn downwind of a patch of patented, genetically engineered
corn, it might be illegal for you to plant your seed, because it may
have been pollinated by your neighbor's protected plants.

I think that non-propagation agreements cover plants for which a patent
has been applied, or plants for which the breeder is thinking of
applying for a patent. In this case, the breeder asks you to promise
not to propagate the plant so that if he applies for a patent, the plant
is still "new", and not in the common domain.

(I also have no law credentials, just repeating stuff I think I've heard
from good sources.)

Best,
Ginda Fisher

Monitoring Service trial